10:52 AM:
Top 25 of 2006

25. T.I. - King


I mean you know what I'm sayin' I done showed you how I feel

I put myself all the way out there you know

The ball's in your court man, but I just got a question for you

...Is you happy??


24. Man Man - Six Demon Bag

/>

oh c'est la vie

please don't go and abandon me

when the bridge burns down

and the bad blood tastes like wine



i stutter step my way across desert lakes

to try and sweat the ghost of the past

and lay my anchor at last

at your feet


23. Drive-by Truckers - A Blessing and a Curse



The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

Better roll 'em now before something else goes wrong

No, it's a wonderful world, if you can put aside the sadness

And hang on to every ounce of beauty upon you

Better take the time to know it

If you feel anything at all

22. The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely



your house is depressing

your house is dirrrrrty

why don't you come outside a little while

why don't you step out into the sun

let me take you down

let me ease you around

...montgomery!



21. Subtle - For Hero: For Fool


Like a large dollop of grey plopped hard

in the plain water of hack,

you sink...

20. Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - Etiquette



but before you let the room go to ice

i remind you that the song on the radio is nice

so let's just listen


19. Thom Yorke - The Eraser



The drunk machine

Spitting nonsense

Spitting feathers

Talking in tongues

Swiveling heads

Splitting hairs


Who put it in charge?


18. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain



I'm locked in my bedroom

so send back the clowns

my clone wears a brown shirt

and I seduce him when there's no one around

mano y mano, on a bed of nails


17. The Lovely Feathers - Hind Hind Legs



I was alone

Now I'm alone

All alone on the countryside

What am I doin?

What am i doin?

What am I doin on the countryside?


You made the wroooooong choice!


16. Ratatat - Classics



Well... wildcat was written in a kind of obselete vernacular...


... wildcat... wild... cat...


... pow... wildcat...



I'm going to go.


15. Yo La Tengo - I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass



Hey Mr. Tough

Don't you think we've suffered enough?

Why don't you meet me on the dancefloor

When it's time-to-find-it time?


14. Paul Brill - Harpooner



I'm so tired of these freaks

and their violent streaks

I have suffered the whims of these idiots

Paris. is. on.



13. Grandaddy - Just Like the Fambly Cat



I don't wanna be a part of all the quality that falls apart these days

I'd rather make an honest sound

and watch it fly around

and then be on my way


I just wanna, I just wanna

I just wanna elevate myself


12.Nas - Hip Hop is Dead



Hip-Hop been dead, we the reason it died

'cause we can't see ourselves as a boss

Deep rooted through slavery, self hatred

The Jewish stick together, friends in high places

We on some low level shit

We don't want niggas to ever win, see everybody got a label

Everybody's a rapper but few flow fatal

It's fucked up it all started from two turntables


11. Ghostface - Fishscale



Who wanna battle the Don?

I'm James Bond in the Octagon

with two razors


10. Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit



Get on your bike!

Get on your horse!


9. Destroyer’s Rubies


She tasted of the Christmas wines and said:

So many things have run through me.

I know the altar boys, they just want to do me,

and that’s fine

You gotta have faith

Yeah, you gotta have it…



8. Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis


Well did you hear, there's a natural order

Those most deserving will end up with the most

That the cream cannot help but always rise up to the top

Well I say, "Shit floats"


If you thought things had changed

Friend, you'd better think again

Bluntly put, in the fewest of words:

Cunts are still running the world


7. Pants Yell! - Recent Drama


it doesnt make better sense

more or less now that the lights turned off

but who turned it off?

not me

i was out in the garden

i was drunk in the kitchen

i was changing the lightbulb by the stairs


6. Islands - Return to the Sea


In the corner of my room

When the cieling's feelin thin

I feel evil creepin in


5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones


It’s all over me, it’s all under me

The face ain’t makin what the mouth needs


4. M. Ward - Post War



Rollercoaster, it was the best of times

Rollercoaster, it was the worst of times, too

Because you lift me up so high high high

It's the most unbelievable ride


3. Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor


God bless the mothers

and younger brothers of hustlas

Cuz she don't wanna sob at his wake

but he wanna follow in his step

Bang his hat, learn the shakes,
master his swagger in the bathroom mirror

Its just the problems we face

Look his mom's in his face and he promises he's straight



I'm cool, I don't foretell best

I aint nicest mc, i ain't cornel west

I am cornel west side, chi-town rivera

Malcolm eXorcise the demons

Gangsta leanin'


2. Girl Talk - Night Ripper


I stay strapped like car seats

Been bangin since my lil nigga Rob got killed for his Barkley's

That's 10 years I told Pooh in 95'

I'd kill you if you try me for my Air Max 95s

I ain't have 50 Cent when my Grandmomma died

Now i'm goin back to Cali with my Jacob on

See how time fly?


1. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury


To y'all ill-wishers who wanna take part

in me getting robbed, well follow ya heart

and I'll waste ya, hell I raised ya

Even let 'em cheat from my paper

Why does wealth make them hate me

And make chick's hearts so achy-breaky?

Rarely do I toot my own horn

But y'all fellas got too far gone, now come back