8:56 PM: The top five songs of the 90's

Once again, Radiohead tops the list of the five best songs of the decade. Enjoy, and comment telling me how wrong I am, so I can argue with you.

1. Radiohead-No Surprises

A heart that's full up like a landfill,
a job that slowly kills you,
bruises that won't heal.
You look so tired-unhappy,
bring down the government,
they don't, they don't speak for us.
I'll take a quiet life,
a handshake of carbon monoxide,

with no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
Silent silence.

This is my final fit,
my final bellyache,

with no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises please.

Such a pretty house
and such a pretty garden.

No alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises,
no alarms and no surprises please.

2. Ben Folds Five-Underground

I was never cool in school
I'm sure you don't remember me
And now it's been 10 years
I'm still wondering who to be
But I'd love to mix in circles, cliques, and social coteries - that's me
Hand me my nose ring (Can we be happy?)
Show me the mosh pit (Can we be happy?)
We can be happy underground

Who's got the looks
Who's got the brains
Who's got everything
I got this pain in my heart, that's all
Hey you with the long and lonely face
There's got to be something else
Let me tell ya something else
There was a girl who passed me by
She gave a smile but I was shy
I looked down, so down
Don't look there no no, go go underground
But now there's a place to go
It's the morning now, it's the evening
It's everything
I click my heels and I'm there

3. The Flaming Lips-The Gash

Is that gash in your leg
Really why you have stopped?
Cause I've noticed all the others
Though they're gashed, they're still going
Cause I feel like the real reason
That you're quitting, that you're admitting
That you've lost all the will to battle on
Will the fight for our sanity
Be the fight of our lives?
Now that we've lost all the reasons
That we thought that we had
Still the battle that we're in
Rages on till the end
With explosions, wounds are open
Sights and smells, eyes and noses
But the thought that went unspoken
Was understanding that you're broken
Still the last volunteer battles on
Battles on
Battles on

4. Weezer-Only in Dreams

You can't resist her.
She's in your bones.
She is your marrow
And your ride home.

You can't avoid her.
She's in the air... in the air
In between molecules of
Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide.

[chorus]
Only in dreams
We see what it means.
Reach out our hands.
Hold onto hers.
But when we wake
It's all been erased.
And so it seems
Only in dreams.


You walk up to her.
Ask her to dance.
She says, "Hey, baby, I just might take the chance."
You say, "It's a good thing
That you float in the air... in the air.
That way there's no way I will crush your pretty toenails into a thousand pieces."

[chorus]

Only in dreams. (x6)

T5. Neutral Milk Hotel-Two Headed Boy Pt. 2

Daddy, please hear this song that I sing,
in your heart there's a spark that just screams
for a lover to bring
a child to your chest
that could lay as you sleep,
and love all you have left
like your boy used to be, long ago,
wrapped in sheets warm and wet.

Blister, please, with those wings in your spine,
love to be with a brother of mine,
how he'd love to find your tongue in his teeth
in a struggle to find
secret songs that you keep
wrapped in boxes so tight,
sounding only at night as you sleep.

And in my dreams you're alive and you're crying,
as your mouth moves in mine, soft and sweet,
rings of flowers round your eyes
and I’ll love you for the rest of your life (when you’re ready)

Brother see we are one and the same,
and you left with your head filled with flames
and you watched as your brains
fell out through your teeth,
push the pieces in place
make your smile sweet to see,
don’t you take this away
I’m still wanting my face on your cheek.

And when we break
we’ll wait for our miracle,
God is a place where some holy spectacle lies.
And when we break
we’ll wait for our miracle,
God is a place you will wait for the rest of your life.

Two-headed boy,
she is all you could need,
she will feed you tomatoes
and radio wire,
and retire to sheets safe and clean,
but don’t hate her when she gets up to leave.

T5. Pavement-Summer Babe

Ice baby,
I saw your girlfriend and she was
Eating her fingers like they’re just another meal
But she waits there
In the levee washes
Mixin’ cocktails with a plastic-tipped cigar

My eyes stick to all the shiny roses
You wear on the protein delta strip
In an abandoned house but I will wait there
I’ll be waiting forever...
I’ll wait and wait and wait...

Minerals, ice deposits daily, dropped off
The first shiny robe
I’ve got a lot of things I want to sell, but
Not here, babe-- tortuuurreeee...

Every time I sit around I find I’m shot
Every time I sit around I find I’m shot
Every time I turn around I find I’m shot
Every time I sit around I find I’m shot
Every time every time...
You’re my... summer babe
Summer babe